Construction of place Vendome
• 1702: Construction of place Vendome.
Number 15 was the hotel Gramont and number 17 was the hotel Crozat
Background of Cesar Ritz
• 1850: Birth of Cesar Ritz in Niederwald, Switzerland.
• 1867: Cesar Ritz comes to Paris at the occasion of the Exposition Universelle and starts working as a young waiter in different Restaurants.
• 1881: Ritz becomes the Director of the Grand Hotel de Monte Carlo.
• 1888: Ritz and his partner Auguste Escoffier buy a restaurant in Baden-Baden.
• 1889: Sir Richard d’Oily Carte convinces Cesar Ritz to becomes the Director of the his famous Hotel Savoy in London.
• 1896: Cesar Ritz creates the Ritz Hotel Development Company. César Ritz decides to create a new style of Luxury Hotel destinated to clients ready to pay a very high price under the condition he offers them what they cannot find anywhere else.
Hotel Ritz Paris
• 1895-1898: Construction of the Hotel under the architect Charles Frederic Mewes, who also build the no longer existing Hotel Carlton in London (1897-1899), the Hotel Ritz in London (1904-1905), the Hotel Ritz in Madrid (1908-1910) and the Hotel Maria Cristina in San Sebastian (1910-1912)
• 1895-1898: Construction of the Hotel by Cesar Ritz.
• 1898 June 1: Grand Opening of the Hotel.
• 1918 October 26: Death of Cesar Ritz in Kuesnacht, Switzerland.
• 1908 – 1922: Writing of the Novel « A la recherche du temps perdu » by Marcel Proust who describes people staying at the Ritz. Proust is frequently dining at the hotel and he is using information given by the maître d’hôtel Olivier Dabescat.
• 1930 May 17: The building is transformed as the historical monument .
• 1937: Coco Chanel moves into the Hotel Ritz.
• 1939: End of the Belle Epoque, the picture shows Coco Chanel, a permanent resident of the Ritz at the Circus Ball in Versailles.
• 1945 Augst: Liberation of Paris.
• 1956: Creation du Restaurant l’Espandon.
• 1957: Love in the Afternoon by Billy Wilder filmed at the Ritz.
• 1964: Audrey Hetburn stays at the Ritz.
• 1971 January 10: Coco Chanel dies in her suite at the Ritz.
Mohamed Al Fayed Era
• 1979: Mohamed Al Fayed buys the Ritz Paris.
• 1988: Establishment of the famous Ritz-Escoffier School of French Gastronomy.
• 1997 August 31: Lady Diana spends her last evening at the Ritz, shortly before her accident. Her compagnon is Dodi Al Fayed, the son of Mohamed Al Fayed, the owner of the Palace.
• 2012 August 1: The Hotel closes for Renovation.
• 2012-2015: Renovation in process.
Article by « Grand Hotels of the World & VB.com », written from « Cremerie de Paris ».
Ownership and Management
• Ownership: Mohamed Al Fayed.
• Management: Hotel Ritz Paris.